Breast implant removal is a surgical procedure used to remove, replace, or correct aesthetic problems associated with a primary breast augmentation.
Why you may choose to have your implants removed
You have unique aesthetic goals that may have changed over time. Some of the reasons you may choose to have your implants removed or replaced include:
- You no longer enjoy larger breasts and want smaller implants, or to return to your natural breast size
- Your breast implant has developed rippling
- The location of the implants is unsatisfactory (a condition called breast implant malposition)
- You have symptoms of capsular contracture, in which excess scar tissue has developed around the implants, causing them to become misshapen, hard, or painful
- You have BIA-ALCL, (a rare form of curable lymphoma associated with certain textured breast implants) and need to have the implants removed for medical reasons
- You have developed necrosis of the tissues surrounding the implant
- A saline implant has ruptured and deflated
- A silicone implant has ruptured
The breast implant removal may involve removing the implants and replacing them, or removing the implant along with the scar tissue, a procedure called en bloc capsulectomy.
What are the benefits of breast implant removal?
For women who suffer from trouble with their implants or no longer want augmented breasts, breast implant removal can be performed to achieve the following:
- Restore your natural breast size
- Resolve infection
- Resolve capsular contracture
- Correct aesthetic problems
- Resolve seromas (fluid collection beneath the skin)
- Change the size of your implants
- Resolve a medical problem associated with implants
- Replace older implants
- Replace ruptured implants
Types of breast implant removal
Breast implant removal may involve simply replacing existing implants, or a combination of procedures. Some of the common combinations include:
- Breast implant removal + replacement: Implant manufacturers recommend replacing your implants every ten to fifteen years, so many women choose to replace implants at least once or twice in their lives. Undergoing breast implant removal is also the perfect opportunity to alter the size, shape, or projection of the implants if your aesthetic goals have changed.
- Breast implant removal + breast lift: Removing an implant, especially for women in their later years, may require removing excess skin. Combining implant removal with a breast lift will restore the breast mound by removing excess skin and reshaping the breast tissue.
- Breast implant removal + capsulectomy: For women who have developed capsular contracture, the surrounding scar tissue may be removed.
What should I expect after a breast explant?
The time needed to recover from breast implant removal varies, based the procedure performed. You will need several days to rest and can expect some bruising or swelling in the early stages of recovery. The incisions are placed in the same locations as your original surgery, unless you have a breast lift, which may involve additional incisions. You will need to avoid lifting, stretching, or putting any stress on your incisions for about three to four weeks, and should plan for one week off work or other activities.
What are the risks of breast implant removal?
The risks of breast implant removal can include loss of breast sensation, which in most cases returns with time, excess scarring, numbness, reactions to anesthesia and other surgical risks. Ensure you are under the care of a board-certified plastic surgeon. Dr. Jeremy White is a double board-certified plastic surgeon and the recipient of numerous “Top Doctor” awards,
Will insurance cover my breast removal surgery?
Breast implant removal is often an elective cosmetic procedure not covered by health insurance, except in cases in which the procedure is needed for medical reasons. At ARC Plastic Surgery, we will evaluate your condition and can help you with health insurance questions.
Why should I choose Dr. Jeremy White?
Dr. Jeremy White is a board-certified plastic surgeon with a reputation for excellence in breast augmentation and breast reduction. He is widely considered to be among the finest breast surgeons in the region and is often called upon to perform breast revision surgery. If you wish to change your breast size, replace older implants, or remove them and return to a natural size, you will be in the hands of a genuinely talented breast surgeon.